A surprisingly simple and easy to make a twist on this American Southern style classic dish.
- 1 medium onion
- 1 lime
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped and deseeded
- 2 small green onions
- 1 clove of garlic, chopped well, or pressed through a garlic press
- 1/2 a green chilli, this will make the dish quite spicy so use with caution!
- 1 large tomato, chopped into cubes
- 1/4 a teaspoon of paprika
- 1/2 a teaspoon of dried thyme
- 1/2 a teaspoon of dried oregano
- 1/2 a teaspoon of soy sauce (Blue Dragon light soy sauce is vegan if you are strictly vegan)
- 1/2 a tin (approx 100grams) of washed kidney beans
- 100 grams of risotto rice, wholegrain preferably
- 1/2 a pint (250ml) of vegetable stock
- Heat the pan or pot to a medium heat and squeeze in as much of the juice as you can from the lime
- Add in both types of onions and the pepper, cook for 3-4 minutes, stirring until soft, not brown.
- Add in all the ingredients and simmer until the rice is cooked, be careful with the quantity of vegetable broth to avoid using too much or too little, for the first few times monitor the absorption after 5 and 10 minutes and 15 minutes, adding broth as necessary
- The final few minutes should result in a fluffy risotto texture, at this point, remove from the heat
- Spoon into bowls and add spinach leaves on the sides, and apple to taste
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 chopped apple
- A handful of baby spinach leaves
- Salt and pepper
- A medium or large saucepan or cooking pot
Find this interesting?
For inspirational success stories, yummy recipes, and top tips on being more healthy just pop your name and email in below.
(typically one email a week)
For specific enquiries, please use the contact form at the bottom of this website.