- 1 tablespoon of coconut flakes
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove of garlic, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon of fresh ginger, grated
- 1 teaspoon of garam masala
- 1/2 a teaspoon of turmeric
- 100 grams of yellow or red lentils, washed and drained
- 3/4 of a pint (400 ml) of vegetable broth
- 1/5 of a pint (100 ml) of a plant milk (soy or almond works well – but avoid coconut milk, it overpowers the recipe, and the health benefits are not as distinct as other plant milks)
- 150 grams of butternut squash, cut into small cubes
- A squeeze of lemon juice (approximately the juice of a quarter of a lemon)
- 2 handfuls of baby spinach (approximately 50 grams)
- 200 grams of frozen or freshly shelled peas
- Heat the coconut flakes with a dash of the milk in a medium saucepan over a med-low heat
- Add the onion and cook for 2-3 minutes until starting to soften. Add the spices, garlic and ginger and stir through until fragrant
- Add the butternut squash and lentils and give a good stir before pouring in the stock and the remaining milk
- Put the lid on the pan and adjust the heat until the mixture is gently simmering
- Cook for 20 minutes, or until the lentils are tender
- Stir through the spinach for a minute or two until wilted.
- Serve in bowls whilst steaming hot.
This meal is a healthy take on the classic middle eastern Dhal (or dal or daal or dahl, depending on your latitude of translation into English!), it has been the staple of huge civilisations for thousands of years but the westernisation of this dish has resulted in an increase in added salt, sugar and fat, principally through cooking with oil and coconut milk, which leaves a dish which is unhealthy – This dish keeps you on the right track and is delicious!
- Chopped coriander and red chilli, to serve
- Wholemeal naan bread
- Medium size saucepan (with lid)
Find this interesting?
For inspirational success stories, yummy recipes, and top tips on being more healthy just pop your name and email in below.
(typically one email a week)
For specific enquiries, please use the contact form at the bottom of this website.